Impact on Geelong of new mandatory rules to wear face masks in Metro Melbourne
From 11.59pm on 22 July 2020, if you live within metropolitan Melbourne or Mitchell Shire, you must wear a face covering whenever you leave your home, unless an exception applies.
While the new rules apply to anyone who lives inside the locked down Melbourne region, they will also impact on many Geelong residents who travel to Melbourne for work, medical appointments, study or carer's duties.
Drivers travelling to Melbourne must carry a mask or face covering in their vehicle with them for use when they leave their vehicle, and masks must be worn in cars carrying people from more than one household.
Within the lock-down zone faces must be covered when people leave their homes, including in the workplace and on public transport.
The Department of Health and Human Services says masks are the preferred face covering however scarves or bandannas are acceptable alternatives.
Exceptions to the mandatory mask rule include:
- Professional sports people when training or competing
- Individuals who are puffing or feel out of breath while exercising
- When consuming food, drink or medication
- When directed by police
- Inside banks or financial institutions
- In an emergency
- People with an associated medical condition
- Anyone under the age of 12
Full details are available here.